To use Writable with Canvas, you’ll need to create an assignment in Canvas, then attach it to an assignment from Writable.
- As a teacher, start in your selected Course and click ‘Assignments’.
- Click ‘+ Assignment’
- Fill out the assignment details as usual for Canvas. When you get to Submission Type, please choose ‘External App’.
- Click ‘Find’ to find Writable.
- Click Writable from the list. Note: If Writable does not appear in this list, please add Writable as an External App in Canvas.
- After you click Writable, you *may* be asked to Connect your Google account. By connecting your school-based Google account, you’ll ensure that any existing work assigned or completed in Writable will be accessible from Canvas in the future. You can always go to 'Account Details' near your profile picture to connect your Google or Microsoft account later.
- You will now see the ‘My Assignments’ screen from Writable (in a smaller window). Find the assignment you want to use, then click ‘Select Assignment’ to associate your Writable assignment with your Canvas assignment. [Note: if you don’t see any assignments to choose from, use the ‘Explore Assignments’ button or visit app.getwritable.com to find and copy an assignment to ‘My Assignments’. Once you have your desired assignment in ‘My Assignments’ in Writable, return to step #5 above.]
- Choose your Writable assignment settings, as usual, then click ‘Use Assignment’.
- Click ‘Select’ to finish setting up your Writable assignment in Canvas, then use either ‘Save’ or ‘Save and Publish’ in Canvas to publish your assignment to students.
- You will now see your assignment in the Assignments list in Canvas:
11. As soon as you make an assignment in Canvas that includes Writable, click the 'Load in a new window' button. This correctly establishes the link between Canvas and Writable. This will only be needed for the first assignment with every group in Canvas.